An Intelligent School
The development of a powerful learning environment has been the outstanding feature of our progress over the last few years.
Students and staff strongly embrace their obligations to learn and to help others to learn.
Parents and Whanau are playing greater roles in their children's learning.
Levels of engagement with learning are extremely high, an internationally recognised sign of an effective school.
The learning needs of our primarily Polynesian and Maori students are being very effectively met through programmes
specifically designed for them using the very best resources and facilities. The effectiveness of these programmes,
built on the cultural strengths innate in our students and staff, is evidenced by the high levels of ownership exhibited here.
“Viscount Learning Community exhibits the characteristics of an intelligent school” (Kate Myers - Cambridge University):
- All involved work together to improve their skills.
- Learning leads to actions and sharing new ideas.
- We are constantly self-critical and seeking objective criticism.
- Staff have the courage to take risks in a high trust environment.
- The school tries to “reflect the future and lead change.”
- Our visions and dreams for the school are growing, changing and are widely shared.
- “A love of learning pervades the atmosphere.”
- Teachers are concerned with their students' world and how they will cope.