TUESDAY 5TH MARCH 2013
KIA ORA, MALO E LELEI, TALOFA LAVA,
FAKAALOFA LAHI ATU,
KIA ORANA,NAMASTE, NI HAO,
WELCOME back to Viscount to all our students and families from last year,
and a special welcome to the 90 new students that have joined us this year
so far. We all hope that 2013 is a year that everyone enjoys, and that
learning for everyone is more exciting than ever!
Although we have enrolled lots of new students so far in 2013, as usual,
an interesting pattern has become obvious to us; in the last 2 years we list-style-type:square
have seen 77 students leave Viscount to move to Australia with their
families. This number is staggering, and due no doubt to the poor
economic situation affecting families around New Zealand.
WELCOME to 4 new teachers and one assistant this year:-
- Ms. Maplesden – teaching in Room 33 (Y.5/6)
- Mr. Mani – teaching in Room 34 (Y.5/6)
- Ms. Carter – teaching in Room 6 (Y.3/4)
- Ms. Mossman - teaching in Room 8 (Y.3/4)
- Ms. Siositina Hakeai – sports assistant
THREE-WAY-CONFERENCES – Parents and families will get their first chance of the year to come along to school to talk about how children are learning, and what the next steps for learning might be for their children on the 10th and 11th April this term. Later on this term we will send home a booking sheet so that you can book a time that suits your family.
Some parents of students in Y.1, Y.2 and Y.3 will be receiving a new report on their child’s learning this week. In addition to our usual half-year and end-year reports, we will now be sending parents a report on progress for each child at the end of his/her first year, second year and third year at school in New Zealand. We look forward to your feedback about how useful this information is.
SOCIAL WORKER – We are really pleased to have our new Viscount Social Worker full-time this year (Tuesdays to Fridays). Christine Poriomaka has already met with most of our staff, and is becoming quite well known amongst our students. We look forward to Christine being able to help students/families in many ways as 2013 progresses.
SAD NEWS – We are very sad that Mr. Ross Lamb passed away during the recent holiday break. Mr. Lamb had been a great friend and ally to Viscount over the last 10 years, deputising for me (Principal) on two occasions when I was attending overseas conferences, completing staff appraisals for the B.O.T., and being our Returning Officer for the last 3 B.O.T. elections. Many of you will have met Mr. Lamb over this time, or previously in his role as Principal of Mangere Intermediate for 15 years or so!
‘READING TOGETHER’ PROGRAMME – After running an extremely successful programme for parents in 2012, we are planning to run the programme again this term. We would really like to see lots of parents come along who missed out last year.
The programme involves you coming along to school on 4 afternoons from about 1.30pm to 3.30pm, where you will learn how your child learns to read, and how you can help them to learn faster, and have fun at the same time! At the end of each afternoon session we all have a cup of tea/coffee, something to eat, and enjoy a chance to reflect on things learned.
- First session – 14th March
- Second session – 21st March
- Third session – 28th March
- Fourth session – 16th May
BOARD OF TRUSTEES – This May all school communities get the chance to elect a new B.O.T. for the next 3 years. We have been very fortunate over the last 10/12 years at Viscount to always have a strong, committed group of people available to be on our board. If you are interested in being involved, pop up to school and I will explain the role to you and answer any questions.
SPORTS NEWS – Thanks to the enthusiasm of our really committed staff at Viscount, we have lots of TEAMS up and running already:-
- Our Y.7/8 Girls have had their first game in the New Zealand Competition, beating Somerville Intermediate convincingly last week. Our Y.7/8 Boys are looking forward to their first game, against Papatoetoe Intermediate next Monday 11th.
- Our Girls and Boys cricket teams competed at last weeks Mangere School’s field days, both having great days playing 8-a-side cricket.
- Our Y.7 and Y.8 Boys teams are competing in the Sth. Zone day on Tuesday 5th March, and the Y.7/8 Girls’ team competes on Thursday 12th March.
- Our Primary Boys and Girls teams have been chosen and are training well, getting ready to play on 13th March.